Thursday, July 28, 2005

Hooked up the vonage phone last night

Well I got the time last night so I hooked up the vonage router in and plugged in an old phone and it worked like a champ first time!

To give you an idea as to why I am so surprised that it worked the first time let my explain our network setup at our house. First we start with the cable modem that is sitting in a nook in our den on the bottom shelf of a printer cart. From that it goes into an Linksys wireless router. From that routher there are two lines: One to my wife's computer which sites besides the printer on top of the printer cart and another goes around the nook to my desk to a four port switch. In that is plugged my computer, an external network hard drive (an excellent investment BTW), an cable that I use when I bring my laptop from work and now the vonage router. And through all that I did not have to change any of the existing settings on the wireless router's firewall.

Now I am waiting for my existing number to be switched from SBC to Vonage. They said it would take around twenty business days so I have a couple of weeks to go. Right now I am using a "virtual number" they gave me.

According to the website I should be saving around $30 dollars a month. I am taking a wait and see approach to that because I am sure that sooner or later congress is going to get around to taxing VOIP phones the same as land line phones. But one thing is certain - I won't be paying $6.99 a month for long distance I hardly use (I use my cell phone for that) or a dollar a month for caller ID or $5.99 a month for privacy manager which is redundant with the advent of the do not call list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home