Sunday, March 09, 2008

The new computer is in!


Monday my new computer finally arrived! I got the new 2.6 Ghz Mac Book Pro.

I almost have it set up. Right now I am ripping all my CDs and after that I need to figure out how to install Windows 95 and DOS under VMWare - I already got Windows XP and OpenSUSE installed. Then I will install all my old games on the appropriate OS.

The biggest thing I like/love about Mac OSX is Time Machine. Its an automatic back up built into the operating system. As long as you have an external drive attached it will do an hourly incremental backup. If the system crashes and you have to re-install you can install from the Time Machine backup. Also its very easy to retrieve previous versions of a file Even though I have not needed it yet its nice to know its there.

The Drobo is VERY nice (I give it four stars). Initialization only took a couple of minutes and the initial Time Machine backup was pretty fast. The only thing I wished it had was a firewire 800 option (it would then have double the sustained throughput).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home